If your project requires a small change to the City of Port Colborne's Zoning By-laws, you can apply for a minor variance.

Applying for a Minor Variance

Before submitting your application, it is recommended that you consult with staff to discuss the merits of your proposal, confirm required variances and identify supporting documentation.

You must complete an application for a minor variance before the Committee of Adjustment can accept your application. Please be sure to include all applicable fees in your application. After we receive agency and public comments regarding your application, we hold a public hearing where a decision is made. If necessary, you can appeal a decision after the hearing.

For the Committee of Adjustment to approve your application, it must:

  • Involve only a minor change from the current zoning requirements
  • Respect the general intent of the Official Plan and Zoning By-laws
  • Be appropriate for the development, use of land or type of building.

Please note, a minor variance does not change a Zoning By-law, it simply excuses you from a specific requirement and allows you to obtain a building permit and other necessary approvals.

For a complete guide to understanding the Minor Variance process, check out our Citizen's Guide to Minor Variances

Contact information

For more information regarding the City of Port Colborne's minor variance process, please contact the Planning Department.