A land severance (also known as a Consent) is the authorized separation of a piece of land to form two new adjoining properties. You must send us a completed application for consent before severing a new lot from an existing lot, adding land to an existing lot, easements, mortgages or leases in excess of 21 years.

Application process

Before submitting your application, it is recommended that you consult with staff to discuss the merits of your proposal and identify required supporting documentation.

You must complete an application for a consent before the Committee of Adjustment can accept your application. Please be sure to include all applicable fees in your application. After we receive agency and public comments regarding your application, we hold a public hearing where a decision is made. If necessary, you can appeal a decision after the hearing.

A severance approval may have specific conditions attached to it. In addition, the property owner may be required to enter into an agreement with the municipality. When the applicant has met all the conditions, the Secretary-Treasurer issues a certificate and the severance goes into effect.

For a complete guide to understanding the Consent/Land Severance process, check out our Citizen's Guide to Consents. 

Contact information

For more information regarding the City of Port Colborne's consent process, please contact the Planning Department.